Blue Dog Glass offers classes to suit absolute beginners, occasional craftmakers and professional artists. Our teachers are experienced practitioners and our small class sizes allow a personalised learning experience. We also have specialist glass masterclasses and workshops taught by renowned Australian and international artists. With so many classes on offer in glass and other media you’re sure to find one to inspire your creativity!
We have classes scheduled throughout the year at our Belgrave studio covering a range of warm glass techniques as well as other glass-related topics. They include introductory and intermediate fusing and slumping courses, short specialty classes on topics like jewellery or bead making, powder printing and kiln firing schedules, and intensive workshops on kiln-forming, screen printing and glass casting. Plus there are our highly sought after masterclasses with leading Australian and international artists.
Over the years, we’ve seen people from all walks of life play around in warm glass – producing an astonishing range of art glass pieces from jewellery, bowls, platters, panels and sculptures. ‘Warm glass’ – also known as Fusing and Slumping, or Kiln Formed glass – is a technique where (cold) cut glass is arranged and layered, then placed in a kiln which is heated up (fired) to melt and form a new shape. Different shapes, colours and textures are achieved through a variety of relatively simple techniques. This basic art glass technique has been developed significantly over the years and now incorporates many other art forms – and this is reflected in the ongoing development of the courses we offer our students at Blue Dog Glass.
Making glass art isn’t as daunting as it first sounds and students at Blue Dog Glass find that, by the end of their first 3 hour session, they’ve already prepared one or more pieces. Once fired and shaped they can present them to friends and relatives, saying ‘Look at this glass masterpiece I have made!’ Students find they enjoy the atmosphere at Blue Dog Glass and keep coming year after year to learn new skills or to contribute to a thriving give-and-take of ideas and creativity.
Have a browse through our class listings to see what you can learn. We schedule classes continuously through the year, so if you want to keep informed of new dates, etc., send us an email and we’ll add you to our mailout list.
Our purpose built studio is nestled in the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges. The studio offers the best available equipment for students to work with. The studio is in walking distance from Belgrave station, tucked behind the shops in Ena road. The address, parking details and class requirements will be emailed to students once they have enrolled. With local cafes a stones throw away and a variety of B&Bs, it’s the perfect place to send a few days.
all classes are face to face in our Belgrave studio unless noted
- Text and glass 11th and 12th Feb click here for more information
- Bead Making with Kathryn Wardill 2nd and 3rd March click here for information
- 3 day screen printing on glass intensive 4th -6th March Nov click here for more information
- Experimental sand casting retreat in Tasmania 14th – 21st March click here for more information
- Casting small objects in silver and bronze with Kathryn Wardill– 2nd -6th April click here for more information
- Sculpting the human form– 8th -12th April click here for more information
- Crash course in kiln formed glass 15th – 19th April click here for information
- Introduction to glass casting 3rd – 5th June click here for information
- Beyond foundations 16 week course starts 7th June click here for more information
- Images and casting;the image within 11th – 16th June click here for more information
- Intro to screen printing on glass 20th June click here for more information
- Intensive kiln formed glass level 2 1st – 4th July click here for more information
- Text and glass 15th and 16th July click here for more information
- Pattern bar class 2nd -4th Sep click here for more information
- Mould making for slumping 17th July click here for more information
- Threads of tradition: A cultural and artistic exploration of Laos, 8 days 7 nights click here for more information
- Crafted Trails: A Cultural and Artistic Expedition across Laos 12 days, 11 nights click here for more information
2025 casting workshop with Silvia Levenson in Italy click here for more information
To book a place in any of our classes please phone the Blue Dog Glass Studios on 0410 903 196 or book online.
If using a mobile phone, you should view the Events as a List.
NOTE: Please read our class cancellations and transfers policies here